Friday, October 29, 2021

Genealogy Blog as ... Bait

We genealogy bloggers often talk about blogs being cousin bait, meaning that relatives (known and unknown) search their ancestors' names on the Internet and our blog posts appear in the search results. They connect with the blogger and family history information is excitedly shared.

Well, blogs can be "bait" for those who may not be relatives but may have something of interest to share with us.

Years ago, I blogged about my husband's great-uncle Sam Handler, who ran several businesses in Cleveland, Ohio, over the years. At Workday Wednesday ~ Sam Handler, I shared what I had found in census records and city directories: he had run two different beverage companies during his many years in Cleveland.

At A Second Cousin Contacted Me, I shared my excitement about having a second cousin of my husband find my blog post about his grandfather, Sam Handler.

Sam died in California after moving there with his daughter and son-in-law.

This week, I received a package (actually mailed to the business address of the local historical society where I volunteer) with a bottle in it.

The following photographs are courtesy of my husband (and his light box):

The lettering reads:

THE ELECTURA
WATER & BEVERAGE CO
CLEVELAND, O.

And on the bottom is: ELECTURA


You can't see it, but on the reverse, there is additional lettering:

CONTENTS 7 FLD.OZS.

Many, many thanks to Joe of Cleveland, who is a collector of antique bottles (usually pre-1900) and discovered this one on a lot where a house had recently been torn down. The bottle was buried under the back porch area. He had never heard of Electura Water & Beverage Company and found my blog when searching the name. Based on his experience, it's from the 1930s, which fits with what I know of this business.

Joe tells me that his grandfather owned a restaurant on the 7100 block of Hough Avenue (Sam lived at 6908 Hough Avenue in 1930). I agree that it's very likely that Sam Handler knew Joe's grandfather.

A blog can be cousin bait ... and more!

4 comments:

  1. Sam Handler was my grandfather and I have been researching both Electura Water & Beverage Co and Sante Beverage for many years. I probably have the most complete bottle and label collection that exists for these companies. The bottle that Joe found is the standard bottle that Electura used with paper labels. My plan is to someday write a book about Electura, but I don't know if I will ever get to it. I would like to know Joe's last name, perhaps I have it in my research notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you write a book about Electura, I'd buy it!

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Joe is a thoughtful person to send you this bottle! Now you have an intriguing artifact to share with future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This certainly is an interesting and unique family memento to share with future generations.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete