Monday, January 28, 2013

Matrilineal Monday ~ Hannah Segal Napadensky

Over a year ago, I shared passenger list records for Segal / Siegel ancestors. Golda / Goldie / Gussie Segal is my husband's great-grandmother. I have written about one sister, Rachel Segal, who married William (or Wolf) Seigal.

Closeup of Hannah Segal from
Segal family photo
Their younger sister was Hannah Segal.

I am not sure when she was born, as different records report different birth dates (between 1872-1876, in Russia). I do know she died on February 7, 1958, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The death date is on her gravestone, and I found her name and death date in the Pennsylvania death indices. (I have requested a copy of her death certificate, as her parents are ancestors of my husband and maybe her mother's name and her birthdate is listed, but I'm not holding my breath).

In 1893 or 1894, Hannah married Barnett Napadensky, also from Russia. According to census records, they had at least five children: Isadore / Israel / Edward (1895-1957), Lena (b. 1897), Isaac / Abraham / Albert (b. 1903), Gussie / Augusta (b. 1908) and Zelda (b. 1912), and possibly two who died young.

In 1900, the Napadenskys were living in Dennis Township, Cape May County, New Jersey (as Barney and Anna) with their children, Isadore and Lena. (Based on later records, I think Isadore should be listed as "son" not "daughter.") Note that the borough of Woodbine was not established until 1903, so my husband's Woodbine ancestors are found in Dennis Township in 1900.

1900 U.S. Census, Dennis Township, Cape May County, New Jersey; Roll: T623_960; Page 16B;
Lines 63-66. Record for family of Barney Napadensky.

Barney and Anna are listed as having been married for seven years and Anna has given birth to three children, two of whom are living. Barney and Anna were born in Russia and their children were born in New Jersey. Also noted in this census record: Barney immigrated in 1888, is a naturalized citizen and is working as a tailor in a factory (as just about everyone else on this page is).

~~~~~~~

In 1910, the Napadenskys were living in Woodbine, Cape May County, New Jersey (as Barnie and Annie) with children Israel, Lena, Isaac, and Gussie. Barnie is still working as a tailor in a factory.

1910 U.S. Census, Woodbine, Cape May County, New Jersey; Roll: T624_670; Page 11A;
Lines 30-35. Record for family of Barnie Napadensky.

My observations on this census record: Barnie and Annie are listed as having been married for 14 years, yet their oldest son is 15 years old. Wife, Annie, has given birth to six children, four of whom are living. I think that Israel in 1910 was Isadore in 1900.

~~~~~~~

A researcher of the Napadensky family shared with me that she believes that all those of this surname were from a tiny shtetl in Russia called Napaden and "sky" at the end of a name in Russian means "from," hence Napadensky. This shtetl was only family so all with the name Napdensky are related.

I will share more about Hannah (Segal) Napadensky next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment