Thursday, January 10, 2013

Great-Grandmother Handler Married Twice

My husband's second cousin shared some information about great-grandmother Handler that answers some questions I have about her.

In the blog post, Different Names-Same Person, I share all the different records I've found for the given name of the mother of Joseph, Sam, and Regina Handler. (She immigrated to America in 1911 with a daughter, a daughter-in-law, and a grandson.) I found Rozalia, Roza, Szoli, Sali, and Sally, depending on the source.

In a subsequent post, Finding A Jewish Great-Grandmother, I share a death certificate that I found for Rosie Goodman and a burial record for Sally Handler at the JewishGen Online Burial Registry and the information looks like it's for the same person.

I now hear that Roza / Sali got married soon after arriving in America to a man with the last name of Goodman, but the marriage didn't last. I had found this marriage record at FamilySearch.org earlier in my research, but didn't know what to make of it.

Ancestry.com, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1810-1973 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010), Volume: Vol 078-079; Page: 339; Year Range: 1911 Apr - 1911 Nov. Record for Rosalie Hendler and Samuel Goodman, November 1, 1911; Application No. 76356.

If it is true that my husband's great-grandmother got married to a Mr. Goodman, then some of the mysteries aren't so mysterious. The 1920 US Census record of Great Aunt Regina and Great Uncle Jake Solomon that includes Rose Goodman as "Mother" makes sense (though she is Regina's mother, not Jake's). And the death certificate that indicates Rosie Goodman was a widow and her deceased husband was Aaron makes some sense. The death certificate notes her father's name is Sam Goodman, but that is the name of her second husband.

Also according to my husband's second cousin, Rosalie Handler's husband Aaron was many years (at least 20) older than her and was her uncle.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I've nominated you for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award.
    http://who-knew-it.blogspot.com/2013/01/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth , I am a fan of both your blogs. I also I listed you in my nominations for the "Wonderful Team Member Readership Award", which you can get more information on by going to:

    http://www.genealogyworks2.blogspot.com/.

    Magda ( www.hungarianfamilyrecord.org)

    ReplyDelete