Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Wordless Wednesday ~ Flona of Romania

The handwriting on the back of these photos identifies the woman, but it is unclear what her name is.

The first photograph is about 3" x 5" and there doesn't appear to be a date.




Approximate translation from Romanian to English [thank you to the JGSGB Help Day in January 2014]:
Much with my love I offer my Uncle Morris And I ask him to keep me in mind. [?]Looking for his help so she can help "your mother"
Hana (or Flona)
Another interpretation / translation from Theo Rafael of the Genealogical Translations Facebook group:
With all the love, I offer this to my uncle Moris, and I ask him to remember my request and God shall help him if he helps me in my hour of need. Your mother
Hana / Ilona / Flona
He was also able to tell me that this portrait was taken in a photo studio in the city of Galati in Romania (based on the stamp on the back).

~~~~~~~~~

Second photograph is about 2.5" x 3" of the same woman with a date: 29 March 1940:



Again, thank you to Theo Rafael at the Genealogical Translations Facebook group:
A keepsake
for my
aunt, uncle and
niece
29 / 3 / 1940
Hana (or Ilona or Flona)
Again, thanks to Theo, it appears that this snapshot was taken in front of the "Royal Court Pharmacy of Dr. Konya Bros." in Iasi.

Possibly Hana / Ilona / Flona was Morris Goldstein's cousin, though I have no idea how she was related.

If you have an additional comment about the translation or you know who what this woman's name is (Hana, Ilona, or Flona), please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment