Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Handler Family ~ Another Generation Back

I recently shared my "aha" moment about my father-in-law's Hebrew name being Tzvi Hersch (צבי הרש) which often becomes Harry in America.

My father-in-law's paternal grandmother was Sally Handler. (Also known as Roza, Rozalia, and Szali, as I shared at Different Names-Same Person.) I shared some information about her at Mystery Monday - Finding a Jewish Great-Grandmother, where I noted that JewishGen's Online Burial Registry (JOWBR) has an entry for Sally Handler:


She is Chaya Sara bat [daughter of] Zvi.

In Great-Grandmother Handler Married Twice, I shared a 1911 marriage record for Rosalie Hendler [sic] and Samuel Goodman where her parents are listed as Harry Hendler [sic] and Anna Stern.

I therefore theorize that this Handler line is:

Harry Handler = Anna Stern
|
Sally Handler
|
Josef Handler
|
Harry Handler
|
My husband

And the awkward thing about this line is that Sally Handler married her father's brother, Aaron Handler who was about 20 years her senior and a widower with children.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching back so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marian! Amazing that it's mostly from material I already had.

      Delete
  2. That's marvelous news on the Handlers ! I always forget to check the Online Burial Registry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magda, thanks for the comment! Now to see if I can figure out any more about the Handlers in the "old country."

      Delete