Monday, July 2, 2018

Mappy Monday ~ Where the Handlers Were From

Because I am sharing images of vital records for my husband's Handler family, I thought I should refresh my memory (and that of my readers) as to the area that the family lived in.

Surname Saturday ~ Handler Family of Yugoslavia is where I shared the following series of maps showing the border changes.

Macrohistory: Worldhistory is where I found a changing map of Europe from WWI to 2000. I took screen shots and showed where Ilok is situated: at the point of the arrow in each map.

1914: Ilok was in Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire)

1919-1938: Ilok was in Yugoslavia

1956: Ilok was still in Yugoslavia

2000: Ilok is now in Croatia, just north of the Serbian border.

~~~~~~~~~

The following Google Map shows how far it is from Bonyhád to Ilok (about 114 miles), though I'm sure that at the time that the Handlers traveled this in the early to mid 19th century, they traveled along the Danube River which is the curvy blue line under the squiggly gray line coming down the middle of the image. (The gray lines represent present-day country borders. Hungary is in the northern part of the map. Croatia is in the southwest and Serbia to the southeast.)

I have also added some additional towns in red. Hogyész is where Lena Hollander's mother's family was from. Ljuba, Szot, and Erdevik are all very close to Ilok and where the extended Handler family lived.


~~~~~~~~~

I originally shared the following Google Map image in a post about birth record transcriptions at JewishGen. (I have circled an additional town for this post.)


Ilok is circled at the top - it's on the southern side of the Danube River. This is where Aaron and Sali were married. This was likely the largest community in the area at the turn of the 20th century because it's the community name I find in most U.S. records for the immigrant family.
Ljuba is in pink in the middle. This is where Rose, Joseph, Sam, and Regina were born (between 1883 and 1891).
Erdevik is circled at the bottom. It is where some of Aaron's children from his first marriage were born. Erdevik or Ilok appear to be where you went to record your children's births; they are about ten miles apart.
Sot (also found in records as Szot) is on the left with the arrow. This is where Sali Handler was recorded as being born, as were two of her siblings.

Having just watched a webinar about using maps in genealogy, I recognize the value of having collected these maps in one blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment