Thursday, June 2, 2016

Happy Fifth Blogiversary

This is post number 193 in five years of blogging. I do have more to share and will do my best to have at least a couple of posts each month.

During this past year, I completed a series of Surname Saturday posts where I shared the ancestral lines of my husband's family:

Handler (from Ljuba, Erdevik, Ilok, in former Hungary (then Yugoslavia, now Serbia))
Goldstein (from Iaşi, Romania)
Hollander (from Bonyhád, Hungary)
Levitas/Levitt (from Husiatyń, in former Galicia, Austria, now Ukraine)
Honenvald (from Hőgyész, Hungary)
Segal (from Shytomir/Zhytomyr, Ukraine)
Moskowitz (from Iaşi, Romania)

In the coming year I hope to share more about using DNA. I would like to use a chromosome browser to display how my husband and his parents are related to known cousins and then figure out how they are related to genetic cousins whose exact relationship is unknown. AncestryDNA doesn't have a chromosome browser, but FamilyTreeDNA and GEDmatch do. GEDmatch is free, but a transfer in of data is needed. It's very easy to transfer data from other DNA testing websites.

If I enough cousins have their DNA tested, I can explore Kitty Cooper's Chromosome Mapper tool, as displayed at Lara Diamond's Lara's Jewnealogy blog.

I also want to share some more of the many photographs that I have of this family.

And, of course, if there are any exciting new finds, I will be sure to share them.

Thank you to those of you who continue to read my blog even if I don't post very often.

10 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Happy Fifth Blogiversary! 193 postings is an amazing record. Keep it up. I just posted to a blog that has been dormant over a year so I need to follow your example and post more. I posted "The Happy Dance" because somebody posted a connection to familysearch.org that broke through my brick wall.

      http://thestephensherwoodletters.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment, Grant, and great post sharing your happy dance!

      Delete
  3. Best blogiversary wishes and enjoy your blogging journey! I always find your posts interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marian for your blogiversary wishes. I enjoy your posts too!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your five years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete