Monday, March 24, 2014

More on Uncle Max Goldstein

My husband's grandfather, Morris Goldstein, followed his older brother, Max Goldstein, from Romania to America. I previously shared the passenger list for Moische Goldstein, and I also shared the fact that I haven't found Morris Goldstein in the 1920 U.S. Census, although I had expected to find Morris living with the family of his brother, Max, at 9 Second Avenue in Manhattan.

I thought I would share some more about Great Uncle Max, who was one of many Max Goldsteins in New York City.

It appears that he followed an uncle, Morris Moskowitz, to America. I believe that the Max Goldstein listed in the household of Morris Moskowitz in the 1910 U.S. Census (below) is Morris Goldstein's brother. Morris Moskowitz is the brother of Max's mother, Sarah.

1910 U.S. Census; Manhattan, New York, New York, E.D. 1675, Page 16A,
lines 37-42: Household of Morris Moskowitz
I have explored various passenger records and have not had luck confirming when Max arrived in America. This 1910 Census indicates that he arrived in 1905.

~~~~~~~

However, the 1915 New York State Census indicates that Max arrived in 1895 and was already a citizen by the time of this census. His household included wife, Lottie, son Joseph, and next door is the family of Leon Rosen, who is Lottie's father.

1915 New York State Census. A.D. 3, E.D. 15, Page 11, line 34: Household of Max Goldstein (Rosen family below)
~~~~~~~

The 1920 U.S. Census, which is a bit difficult to read, indicates that he arrived in 1898 and naturalized in 1919. His household now included Edith Goldstein, age 2 7/12. They still live in the same building as Lottie's parents.

1920 U.S. Census; Manhattan, New York, New York; E.D. 165; Page 6B;
lines 72-75: Household of Max Goldstein (Rosen family above)
And with a name like Max Goldstein, these different dates don't help me find his naturalization record or passenger record.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get past the name Moische - is that the Jewish version of Morris? I have a copy of my 3rd great grandmother's death certificate and it shows her father's name was Morris Plotzky - I need to start searching for Moische!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Moische is the Jewish version of Morris - definitely look for variations of Moische or Moshe in your searches for Morris! Good luck!

      Delete