Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day ~ Remember the Handler brothers

Two of my husband's uncles died serving their country during World War II. Until recently, I had only seen their official military portraits, which I posted when I wrote about their service, and one formal family portrait.

With my recent acquisition of a shopping bag full of old Handler family photographs, I am able to see snapshots of my husband's uncles, showing them in their daily life before going off to war.


Alfred was born on August 10, 1919, in Akron, Ohio, during the time that his father, Joseph, was becoming a naturalized citizen. His name and birthdate are noted on Joseph's naturalization papers. He married Rebecca <unknown> at some time during the war. I'm still trying to find details about his marriage and his wife.


Louis was born on July 3, 1921, in Akron, Ohio. I found his birth date on his marriage record. He attended college for a couple of years before enlisting in the Army. He married Isabelle Brustein on September 2, 1943. He died less than a year later, before his son was born.

I have also shared what I found out about the Handler family in the 1940 US Census.

Memorial Day is a time to remember those who fought and gave their lives for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment