Monday, November 7, 2011

Mystery Monday ~ Where was Morris Goldstein in 1920?

Morris Goldstein immigrated from Romania to New York in July 1914. I have posted about Morris Goldstein's marriage in 1922 and that he is found in Woodbine, Cape May County, New Jersey in the 1930 Federal census.

For years I have tried to find "my" Morris Goldstein in the New York City 1920 Federal census in various census indexes, and using various census search strategies, but have had no luck. I know that he was born in 1897, lived in the lower East Side, and worked as a tailor. In fact, his World War I draft card indicates all this and that he was living with and working for his brother, Max Goldstein, at 138 Forsyth. However, it looks like they both had moved by the time of the 1920 U.S. Census.

I have found his older brother, Max Goldstein in 1920 living on Second Avenue with wife Lottie and two young children, 7-year-old Jerome and 2 7/12-year-old Edith. The image is below, and doesn't include Morris. Max and Lottie were naturalized citizens (in 1919), Yiddish-speaking and originally from Romania. He immigrated in 1898 and she in 1901. Max worked in a store as a men's tailor.
 
1920 U.S. Federal Census, Manhattan Assembly District 2, New York, New York; Roll: T625_1187; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 165; Record for Max Goldstein.

I have searched page by page in a few of the enumeration districts (E.D.s) around this neighborhood, but have had no luck. 
E.D. 165 includes the blocks around Forsyth, Houston, and Second Avenue.
E.D. 129 includes Forsyth, Hester, Chrystie, and Canal.
E.D. 126 includes Forsyth, Hester, Chrystie, and Grand.
Although I've never visited that part of New York City, I feel that I know it quite well from using Google Maps, Steve Morse's One-Step Census pages, and searching these census pages on Ancestry.com.

All I can think is that Morris was moving from one address to another in the lower East Side, and was not contacted by a census enumerator. That, or I have to go page by page through every E.D. in that part of Manhattan. Maybe another day...

Mystery Monday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers, the genealogy community’s resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment