Monday, February 13, 2012

Amanuensis Monday ~ Max Levitt's Death Certificate

An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Several years ago, when I was just starting to research my husband's family's genealogy, I visited the city hall in Atlantic City, where I knew I would find the death certificate for one of my great grandfathers, who died there in 1931. (He was buried in Chicago, where he had been born.)

I also found out that my mother-in-law's grandfather, Max Levitt, had died in Atlantic City, so I obtained a copy of his death certificate as well. It doesn't provide as much information as I would like, but I'll take what I can get.


Typewritten entries are in blue. My editorial comments and additions are bracketed.

1. Place of Death: A Hospital [Does this mean Atlantic City Hospital? I'm not sure.]
2. Name: Max Levitt             Usual Address: Woodbine, N.J.
[Unfortunately, the detail about how long he had been in the U.S. if of foreign birth is not noted.]
3. Sex: male
4. Color/Race: wh[ite]
5. Single/Married/Widowed/Divorced: marr.
6. Date of Birth: [Unfortunately, no entry]
7. Age: 77 [Again, unfortunately, no detail, but an estimate of his birth year is 1858.]
8. Occupation: Retired
9. Birthplace: Austria [Not very helpful, as in some years, "Austria" covered the Austro-Hungarian Empire and some immigrants thought Austria sounded better than some other countries' names for reporting purposes.]
10. Name of Father: Moses L. Levitt
11. Birthplace [of father]: Austria
12. Maiden Name of Mother: unknown [darn, this is usually a good place to obtain a mother's maiden name!]
13. Birthplace [of mother]: [blank]
14. Informant: Son [my mother-in-law thinks it was her Uncle Morton Levitt who provided the information.]
15. Filed: [blank]


On the back side
16. Date of Death: 5/3/35
17. Death details and cause: mitral stenosis, with aortic insufficiency [heart attack]
18. Signed: I. E. Leonard Co M.D.
19. Place of Burial, Cremation, or Removal: Woodbine, N.J.
Date of Burial: 5/3/35
20. Undertaker: A.L. Roth

See Tombstone Tuesday for photographs of his and his wife's gravestones in the Woodbine Brotherhood Cemetery.

Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging prompt from Geneabloggers, the genealogy community's resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment