Monday, January 27, 2014

Military Monday ~ Morris Goldstein in WWI

I previously shared the World War I Draft Card for Morris Goldstein, my husband's grandfather, which was completed June 5, 1918.

The following is from Ancestry.com: New York; Abstracts of World War I Military Service, 1917-1919, Series B0808.


There are several men named Morris Goldstein in New York City in this time frame, but this abstract includes Morris Goldstein's address at 138 Forsyth Street in NYC, as well as his birth date (April 20, 1897) and birth place (Yassy (Iasi), Romania) which confirms this Morris Goldstein as my husband's grandfather.

It looks like he spent about two months (the last two months of the war) at Camp Jackson, the army training center outside of Columbia, South Carolina.

As I have noted before, I believe he became a naturalized citizen serving as a soldier, but he is not the Morris Goldstein in the Fold3.com Index to Naturalizations of World War I Soldiers, 1918, who is a different Morris Goldstein who served at "Crane" not "Jackson."

The description of this Ancestry.com database indicates that records are held at the New York State Archives in Albany, New York. I contacted the Archives by email, but was informed that they do not have any additional information.

4 comments:

  1. I listened to a podcast of Jane E. Wilcox's "Forget-Me-Not Hour" recently where she interviewed the head of the NYS Archives. He said that all the WWI records in Missouri burned up in the fire in the 1970s. These WWI military duty summaries at the NYS Archives are all that is left. Thank goodness for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I listened to that podcast as well which is why I thought it certainly was worth a try to contact the NYS Archives. Yes, I am grateful I was able to find this index record!

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Thank you both for listening to the Forget-Me-Not Hour. I love to hear that listeners are helped by the information that guests provide on the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I am glad I found your show - you have such interesting guests and the guest from the NYS Archives sounded so friendly that I was encouraged to reach out to the Archives to see if they had additional information.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete